The Riverside Christian Church was organized on October 2, 1910 when a group met at Baker Brothers Nursery on East First St. Rev. S. W. Hutton was the first minister of the congregation which had eighty-two charter members.
They met above Hawes Grocery store while their building was being erected at 3300 East First Street. The building was dedicated on January 15, 1911. Years later the church was moved across the street. The congregation moved to 1000 Bonnie Brae Street in March 1947 after completion of a building program which began in June 1946. The church ceased to exist in November 2007.
Among the ministers who served were S. W. Hutton (1910 - 1912), Henry Hagemier (1912 - 1913), J. H. Monk, R. A. Highsmith, S. F. Houtchens ( - 1921), V. R. Hughes (1921 - ), W. J. Spreen, H. M. Gilmore, E. H. Hatfied, P. J. Merrill, J. E. Pickering, E. B. Chancellor, Clinton Bradshaw, W. S. Willis, Duncan Sanders (1939 - 1942), Roy Towery (1942 - 1945), S. T. McKinney, Roberts S. Scott (1946 - 1951), David Marlar (1951 - 1953), Shelvy H. Anglemyer (1954 - 1962), J. Don Smotherman (1963 - 1976), Jack Coots (1977 - 1987), John Hellstern (1987 - 1989), Dr. William A. Gerrard, III (1991), R. Lee Hendon (1991 - 1993), Rick Truitt (1993 - 1997), Mark Loewen (1997 - 2002), James R. Monroe (interim minister) [2003 - 2007].
The records were donated to the library on April 4, 2007 by Linda R. Smith, chairperson of the Board. The records totaled 18 linear ft. when received by the library. A preliminary inventory was prepared by Mary Catherine Monroe, the church archivist, in 2006. The inventory is located in Miscellaneous Series. A few items were donated subsequently including the Book of Remembrance.
Scope and Contents Note
The collection consists of 65 boxes (36 linear ft.) of material arranged into nine Series. The records range from 1910 - 2007 with the bulk of the items being from the 1939 - 2005.
- Series I: Administration Records - Consists of information about attendance, membership, Board Minutes (1939 - 2005), financial records, insurance policies, and deeds. The most important records are the Board minutes. (23 boxes)
- Series II: Miscellaneous - Consists of various items with the most important being notes relating to the history of the church and the Minute Book for the United Christian Missionary School. (1 box)
- Series III: Sunday School and Worship - Consists primarily of the worship bulletins from 1947 until 2005. There is a dedicatory program from 1911 and a closing program from 2007. The bulk of the programs are from 1947 until 2005 with a large gap from 1988 thru 1995. The series also includes records of the Sunday School Classes primarily attendance records. (9 boxes)
- Series IV: Women’s Organizations - Consists of records of the women’s organizations of the church including Christian Woman’s Board of Missions (1907 - 1918), Ladies Aid Society (1922 - 1928), Woman’s Missionary Society (1924 - 1932) and Christian Women’s Fellowship. It includes the yearbooks for the Christian Women’s Fellowship from 1958 - 2004. (6 boxes)
- Series V: Newspapers & Newsletters - Consists of the church newspaper from 1947 - 1977 published by All Saints Press. The newsletters began in 1978 - 2005. (9 boxes)
- Series VI: Photographs - Consist of photographs of the buildings, church members and pastors. (6 boxes)
- Series VII: Scrapbooks - Consist of three scrapbooks including a Book of Remembrance. (3 boxes)
- Series VIII: Memorabilia - Consists of a miscellaneous items like pens, pins and plaques.(1 box)
- Series IX: Architectural Drawings - Consist primarily of blueprints of the alterations and additions to the church building done in 1957. (7 boxes)
- Audiobooks, Music, eBooks & Video
- Online Databases
- Genealogy, Archives & Local History
- Into the Past
- Digital Archives Collection
- Interlibrary Loan
- Get a Library Card
- Download the Library app
- Toll Tags
- Pay a fine
- Friends of the Library
- Fort Worth Public Library Foundation
Follow the Library
Last updated: Oct. 3, 2014