Home > Departments > Library

 

Women's Archive

Fort Worth Library created a Women’s Archive in March 2007 to augment the Library’s general archive and the developing Jazz Archives. The Women’s Archive preserves, documents, and provides access to the history of women and their contribution to the business, cultural, social and political communities in Fort Worth and Tarrant County. Materials in the Women’s Archive and databases accessible through the Fort Worth Library website provide significant resources used in documenting research projects and genealogy research. View a list of the collections in the Women’s Archive on the web or print the list.

Mrs. Charles Scheuber

Virginia Reilly Papers

The focus of the Virginia Reilly Papers is the establishment and operation of the Carnegie Public Library, later to become the Fort Worth Public Library. The collection consists of correspondence, pamphlets, and statements. The majority of correspondence is addressed to or from Mrs. Charles (Jennie S.) Scheuber (1860-1944) who was the first Fort Worth Public Library director: 1901-1938. Included in the collection is a letter from Andrew Carnegie agreeing to help fund the first Fort Worth Public Library.

Mary Daggett Lake

Mary Daggett Lake Papers

Mary Daggett (1881-1955), pioneer and historian wrote a series of articles in the 1920s on the first 100 families in Fort Worth. She was the garden page editor of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram and president of the Texas Federation of Garden Clubs and held offices with various states, regional and national garden clubs. The 1930 US Federal Census, accessed at Fort Worth Library, lists Ms. Lake’s occupation as “Writer Special Feature” and that her mother was born in Tennessee.

Hazel Harvey Peace

Hazel Harvey Peace Collection

Hazel Harvey Peace (1907-2008), was an educator, humanitarian, and community activist with an outstanding record of service to the City of Fort Worth. Among the many honors bestowed upon Mrs. Peace are having the Fort Worth Central Library Youth Center named after her; an endowed professorship in her name at University of North Texas School of Library and Information Sciences; carrying the 2002 Salt Lake Olympic torch; and having the Hazel Harvey Peace Elementary School, Fort Worth, Texas and Hazel Harvey Peace Center for Neighborhoods, Fort Worth, Texas both named in her honor. Mrs. Peace’s greatest legacy may be the contributions to the thousands of students whose lives she touched.

Collection is now part of our Digital Archives. Click here to view the collection online.

Hazel Vaughn Leigh

Hazel Vaughn Leigh Papers

Hazel Vaughn Leigh (1897-1995) founded the Fort Worth Boys Club in 1935 and devoted her life to improving the quality of life for boys in Fort Worth and Tarrant County. Following Mrs. Leigh’s death in 1995, J’Nell Pate wrote about Hazel Vaughn Leigh and the Fort Worth Boys’ Club using documentation from the Hazel Vaughn Leigh Papers held in the Library Archives.

Electra Marshall Carlin

Electra Carlin Art Gallery Archive

Electra Marshall Carlin (1913-2000) opened one of the first private art galleries in Fort Worth and operated the gallery from 1959 to 1987. She exhibited the works of nationally known artists such as Peter Hurd and Henriette Wyeth and Fort Worth artists Emily Guthrie-Smith and James Blake. Carlin was one of the first gallery owners in the Southwest to exhibit and sell Inuit art. Record of Ms. Carlin’s death in the Texas Death Index can be accessed using resources at the Fort Worth Library.

Shirley Johnson

Shirley Johnson Papers

Shirley Johnson (1924- 2007) was active in both the civic and political arenas in Fort Worth. She held positions as a Fort Worth City councilwoman, was president of the League of Women Voters of Tarrant County, and served on the Community Action Agency and the Community Development Council. The obituary for Ms. Johnson can be found using the newspaper database in our Online Databases.

Belle Burchill

Burchill Family Papers

Belle Burchill (1847-1937) served as postmaster in the 1880s and later participated in the founding of the Fort Worth Benevolent Home. Her daughter, Edna M. Burchill, developed the Burchill Addition in east Fort Worth. She also was interested in music and the humane society. She also prepared an unpublished manuscript pertaining to her family and the early history of Fort Worth. The 1880 US Federal Census accessed through databases at the Fort Worth Library lists family members in the household as husband George S.; daughter Edna; and her mother, Mariah P. Murray.

View other archive collections

Last updated: May 23, 2016