Home > Departments > Library

 

Wright Aviation Collection | Stansbury Group

History

Bell Aircraft Corporation was founded in Buffalo, New York, in 1935, by Lawrence D. Bell. The helicopter division moved to Fort Worth, Texas, in 1951 and became Bell Helicopter Corporation. R. S. (Dick) Stansbury was an experimental pilot who had a hand in developing the first Bell Helicopter models in Buffalo. He conducted flight instruction in the Bell Model 47 helicopter NC-1H, the first helicopter to receive CAA certification.

Provenance

The Wright Aviation Collection was donated to the Library by Adam Wright on April 10, 2012. The Stansbury Group documents were bequeathed to Adam Wright from his father, Roderick Wright.

Scope and Contents Note

The Wright Aviation Collection contains historical documents of Bell Helicopter Corporation, a Subsidiary of Bell Aircraft Corporation. The collection includes correspondence, schematics, proposals, and firefighting data of the R.S. Stansbury Group. The materials date from 1945 - 1988 and measure 2.38 linear feet (3 boxes).

Return to Archival Collections

Last updated: Oct. 20, 2014