This annual event is a celebration EVERY DAY of children, families and reading that culminates on April 30. It emphasizes the importance of advocating literacy for children of all linguistic and cultural backgrounds and celebrates of the joys and wonders of childhood while bringing literacy in the lives of families.
Contact your neighborhood library to learn more!
- 11 a.m. - 1 p.m. Sat., Apr. 6, East Regional *
- 4 p.m. Wed., Apr. 10, Riverside *
- 1 - 3 p.m. Sat., Apr. 13, Diamond Hill/Jarvis *
- 3 p.m. Sun., Apr. 14, Central *
- 10:30 a.m. Wed., Apr. 17, Wedgwood *
- 6 p.m. Wed., Apr. 24, East Berry
- 11 a.m. - 1 p.m. Sat., Apr. 27, Seminary *
- 2 - 5 p.m. Sat., Apr. 27, Ridglea
- 2 - 4 p.m. Sat., Apr. 27, Summerglen
- 4 - 4:45 p.m. Tue., Apr. 30, Northside *
- 5 - 7 p.m. Tue., Apr. 30, Ella Mae Shamblee *
*Presented in English and Spanish.
Programs for families and is 60 minutes unless otherwise noted.
Since 1925 El Día del Niño or Day of the Child has been celebrated in Mexico. In 1996, Pat Mora, children’s book author, thought of the idea to mix Day of the Child with books and to promote literacy. Pat and other colleagues set the foundation for El Día de los Niños/El Día de los Libros which was first celebrated on April 30, 1997. Since then, schools, libraries, and other community centers have celebrated Día. Pat’s vision of Día is to be yearlong activities that focus on children, books, and literacy. The culminating celebration is held on April 30th.
The goals of Día are to:
- Honor children and childhood
- Promote literacy and the importance of linking all children to books, languages, and cultures
- Honor home languages and cultures, and thus promoting bilingual and multilingual literacy in this multicultural nation, and global understanding through reading
- Involve parents as valued members of the literacy team
- Promote library collection development that reflects our plurality
- Audiobooks, Music, eBooks & Video
- Online Databases
- Genealogy, Archives & Local History
- Into the Past
- Digital Archives Collection
- Interlibrary Loan
- Get a Library Card
- Rent a meeting room
- Download the Library app
- Toll Tags
- Pay a fine
- Friends of the Library
- Fort Worth Public Library Foundation
- Library Advisory Board
Follow the Library
Last updated: Jan. 10, 2019