Celebrate our cultural diversity with other families at a library near you! El día de los niños/El día de los libros (Children’s Day/Book Day), commonly known as Día, is a celebration of children, families, and reading for children of all linguistic and cultural backgrounds.
Join us for books, crafts and other fun activities that will emphasize literacy and STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math) curriculum.
Learning Objective: Participants will recognize cultural differences and learn about literature from around the world.
- 4 p.m. Wed., April 11, Seminary
- 10:30 a.m. Sat., April 14, Seminary
- 4 p.m. Mon., April 23, Riverside
- 4 p.m. Wed., April 25, Riverside
- 6 p.m. Wed., April 25, East Berry
- 1 p.m. Sat., April 28, Diamond Hill/Jarvis
- 1 p.m. Sat., April 28, Ridglea
- 2 p.m. Sat., April 28, Summerglen
- 1 p.m. Sun., April 29, Central
- 3 p.m. Mon., April 30, Ella Mae Shamblee
- 4 p.m. Tues., May 1, Wedgwood
Programs for families and is 60 minutes.
Since 1925 El Día del Niño or Day of the Child has been celebrated in Mexico. In 1996, Pat Mora, children’s book author, thought of the idea to mix Day of the Child with books and to promote literacy. Pat and other colleagues set the foundation for El Día de los Niños/El Día de los Libros which was first celebrated on April 30, 1997. Since then, schools, libraries, and other community centers have celebrated Día. Pat’s vision of Día is to be yearlong activities that focus on children, books, and literacy. The culminating celebration is held on April 30th.
The goals of Día are to:
- Honor children and childhood
- Promote literacy and the importance of linking all children to books, languages, and cultures
- Honor home languages and cultures, and thus promoting bilingual and multilingual literacy in this multicultural nation, and global understanding through reading
- Involve parents as valued members of the literacy team
- Promote library collection development that reflects our plurality
- Audiobooks, Music, eBooks & Video
- Online Databases
- Genealogy, Archives & Local History
- Into the Past
- Digital Archives Collection
- Interlibrary Loan
- Get a Library Card
- Rent a meeting room
- Download the Library app
- Toll Tags
- Pay a fine
- Friends of the Library
- Fort Worth Public Library Foundation
Follow the Library
Last updated: Jan. 29, 2018