What is Geocaching?
Geocaching is a real-world, outdoor treasure hunting activity. Participants search for hidden containers, “geocaches,” using GPS-enabled devices or Google Maps, and then share their experiences online.
What do you need to participate?
- Smartphone or Internet access
- Pen or pencil
How do you start?
- Go to geocaching.com and register for a free account.
- Visit this page for a list of library-hidden caches, coordinates and information.
Locating the Cache
List of Cache and Coordinates
- Location: Central Library
Title of Cache: FWL: Peter Rabbit Says Hello
GC Code: GC code: GC4PZ4T
Coordinates: N 32° 45.215 W 097° 20.099
- Location: East Regional Library
Title of Cache: FWL: Bridge to the East
GC code: GC4Q0GP
Coordinates: N 32° 45.692 W 097° 13.378
- Location: Fort Worth Nature Center
Title of Cache: FWL: Out Where the Wild Things Are
GC code: GC4T3YG
Coordinates: N 32° 50.583 W 097° 28.133
**NOTE: Charge to enter. This geocache is located on the Shoreline Trail. The cache is a peanut butter jar located at ground level. This geocache was placed with the approval of refuge personnel. Geocaches are allowed in the refuge only with permission. They are placed under strict guidelines, including proximity to trail, time duration, total number limit, and consideration of impact to the natural environment. Each cache under consideration is personally inspected by refuge personnel. The refuge has open and closed hours, and there is an entry fee. Click here for more information regarding hours and access. When you search for this cache, please respect the refuge, and behave as a “visitor in nature’s home.” Be polite and considerate as you would in anyone’s home. Information and description was styled after geocacher Bennet’s cache, “the island.” Please be aware that the nature center is…well, in nature. There may be roaming deer, there may be snakes, and there are definitely thorns. Please dress appropriately.
- Location: Shamblee Library
Title of Cache: FWL: A Cache With a View
GC code: GC4RNQD
Coordinates: N 32° 43.983 W 097° 19.130
- Location: Texas Wesleyan West Library
Title of Cache: FWL: How the West Library Was Won
GC code: GC4Q0FH
Coordinates: N 32° 43.977 W 097° 16.805
- Location: Wedgwood Library
Title of Cache: FWL: A Walk in the Wedgwoods
GC code: GC4Q0G5
Coordinates: N 32° 40.217 W 097° 22.500
Using Google Maps
- Go to maps.google.com and enter the coordinates of the cache.
- Follow the directions on the map and begin searching for the hidden cache.
Using an App
- Visit geocaching.com and download a geocaching app. The app turns your smartphone into a GPS device that can be used to locate caches.
- Enter the coordinates of the cache into the app on your smartphone.
- Using your smartphone, begin searching for the hidden cache.
Once You Find the Cache
- Once you locate the cache, open it, sign the logbook and return the cache to its original hiding place.
- Share your geocaching stories and photos at geocaching.com.
Things you should know about Geocaching
- You may take something from the cache, but you must leave something of equal or greater value.
- Bring friends and family. Always let someone know where you are going.
- The map or app will lead you to the ground zero (GZ) location of the cache, but you have to find the cache.
- Search everywhere. A cache will not be buried, but it will be disguised.
- Caches vary in size – from quarter-sized to a big box. The cache description includes the size.
- Audiobooks, Music, eBooks & Video
- Online Databases
- Genealogy, Archives & Local History
- Into the Past
- Digital Archives Collection
- Interlibrary Loan
- Get a Library Card
- Download the Library app
- Toll Tags
- Pay a fine
- Friends of the Library
- Fort Worth Public Library Foundation
Follow the Library
Last updated: Aug. 29, 2017