Driving safety course
You may request to have your citation dismissed by pleading “no contest” or “guilty,” paying court costs and completing a driving safety course approved by the Texas Education Agency (TEA).
To be eligible for driving safety, the following requirements must be met:
- Must not have completed a driving safety course to dismiss a citation within the last 12 months or be in the process of taking the course for another traffic violation
- A speeding violation must not exceed the posted speed limit by more than 24 MPH
- Must be at least 17 years old
- Must possess a valid Texas driver’s license or military ID (that is not classified as a commercial drivers license CDL)
- Must present current personal proof of liability insurance in your name or listing your name as a covered driver
- Violation did not occur in a construction zone with workers present
- Violation did not occur while passing a school bus
If you meet the above requirements you may request to take a driving safety course before the court within 21 calendar days from the date of issuance. Judicial approval is required after 21 days.
You should not take the course or request your driving record until you have received approval from the Municipal Court.
Visit the TEA website for a list of state-approved safety courses.
For more information, call the DSC office at 817-392-8675.