Apply for Neighborhood Empowerment Zone (NEZ) Incentives
How can I apply for NEZ incentives?
You may apply in person at the Permitting Center Check-in located in City Hall at the south-end lower level. All submittal documents must be present to intake the application, as we do not accept incomplete applications. Appointments are available to submit your application.
Certification processing for Basic NEZ Incentives is approximately 2-3 weeks.
If you are also seeking Tax Abatement please add an additional 5-7 weeks for that process.
What are some of the criteria for becoming certified to receive NEZ incentives?
- The property must be located in a NEZ area.
- The proposed rehab must be 30% or more than the TAD improvement value of the property.
- The property is a permanent structure, and not a mobile structure.
- The owner/developer is not delinquent in paying taxes and does not have any City liens against any property they own.
- The owner/developer has not been subject to a Building Standards Commissions’ order of Demolition where their property was demolished within the last five (5) years.
- The property has received City Council support if it is a liquor store or package store.
- All new construction must conform to the NEZ Design Guidelines per section E.1 in the NEZ policy.
- No metal buildings except for industrial projects
- All new construction projects must contain 70% masonry product
- Exceptions to the masonry product will be made at the city’s discretion for design district overlays (where applicable) and approved planned development projects
- Compliance with design guidelines for Council adopted NEZ Strategic Plans is required for certification
- Attached garages for new single family homes may not extend more than 4 ft. past the front building wall
Are there any fees associated with participating in this program?
Yes. There is an application fee of $25 for all Basic Incentives excluding tax abatements. The application for residential tax abatements is $100. The application fee for multi-family, commercial, industrial, community facilities and mixed-use development projects is one-half of one percent (0.5 percent) of the proposed Project’s Capital Investment, with a $200 minimum not to exceed $2,000. If you are approved for tax abatements, City staff will work with you to finalize the tax abatement agreement with the City.
What if I qualify but do not wish to participate in the program?
The owner of the property will be required to sign a NEZ Opt-Out form acknowledging that they were informed about the program but declined to participate. A copy of the owner’s drivers license is required. A copy of the Registered Warranty Deed is only required if the owner’s name listed in Tarrant Appraisal District (TAD) is different from the current owner of the property.
*If property is owned by a corporation, corporation papers noting all principles, partners and registered agents is required.
For more information about NEZ Tax Abatements, call Sarah Odle, 817-392-7316.