Aviation and history enthusiasts gathered to break ground and ceremoniously give flight to a new park celebrating the history of aviation in Fort Worth.
Construction of First Flight Park begins this month. Greystar, developers of an apartment village surrounding the park, is paying for most of the park’s construction.
The city council dedicated property at 2700 Mercedes Ave. in the Linwood Addition as public parkland and authorized naming the plot First Flight Park. The park honors the January day in 1911 when a Frenchman named Roland G. Garros lifted off in his Bleriot monoplane, marking the first powered flight from Fort Worth soil. Garros took off from the Fort Worth Driving Park, a racetrack situated near the current-day Montgomery Plaza off West Seventh Street.
A Texas historic marker was dedicated at the site in 2014.
The centerpiece of the park will be a full-sized replica of a Bleriot XI measuring nearly 9-feet long with a wingspan of more than 25 feet. The replica is being constructed by Cowtown Aerocrafters.
Get articles like this in your inbox weekly. Subscribe to City News
- Mayor's Message: Mayor eyes property tax rate decrease
- Chisholm Trail Park to be dedicated June 4
- City Council approves Chesapeake Energy settlement
- Comprehensive Solid Waste Management Plan on track for City Council presentation this summer
- Officer Byron Wylie earns national honor for bravery
- More News »
Workforce Solutions - Workforce Delivery Systems Committee: 11:45 a.m. May 26, 2016; Board Large Conference Room, 1320 S. University Drive.
View the agenda »
North Tri Movie Marathon: Star Wars VII: The Force Awakens: 6 p.m. May 26, 2016; North Tri-Ethnic Neighborhood Center, 2950 Roosevelt Ave.
Memorial Holiday - City Hall Closed: 8 a.m. May 30, 2016; City Hall, 1000 Throckmorton St.
Canceled Pre-Council Meeting: 3 p.m. May 31, 2016; Pre-Council Chamber, 2nd Floor, City Hall, 1000 Throckmorton St.
Canceled Council Meeting: 7 p.m. May 31, 2016; Council Chamber, 2nd Floor, City Hall, 1000 Throckmorton St.
Latino American Archives Exhibit: June 1, 2016,–Aug. 31, 2016; Fort Worth Central Library, 500 W. Third St.