Sales between private individuals have become common due to the popularity of e-commerce websites. While the vast majority of these exchanges are legitimate and safe, some people have used online exchange websites and mobile apps to victimize buyers or sellers.
To provide a safer atmosphere for these exchanges, the Fort Worth Police Department encourages buyers and sellers to meet in public locations, including selected police facilities. Try to schedule the exchange at one of these facilities during business hours:
Bob Bolen Public Safety Complex, 505 W. Felix. The lobby is open 8 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Friday.
South Division, 3128 W. Bolt St. The lobby is open 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday-Friday.
North Division, 4651 N. Main St. The lobby is open 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday.
East Division, 1100 Nashville Ave. The lobby is open 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday.
If you choose to meet at a police station, keep in mind that city employees are generally prohibited from engaging or interfering with private business transactions. Police officers and city employees will not participate in or help the transaction by running serial numbers to determine whether a particular item has been reported stolen or missing, nor will officers or city employees be available to witness the sale or exchange of goods.
No gun sales are permitted in these areas.
The FWPD offers these tips for making e-commerce exchanges with strangers:
- Never meet anyone at your home or their home.
- Always meet in a public place such as a restaurant or shopping center or anywhere where there is a high volume of pedestrian or vehicle traffic. Never meet in out-of-the-way locations. The presence of other people provides an additional measure of safety.
- Never conduct business inside a vehicle.
- Avoid meeting at night. Choose a location that is well lit.
- Regardless of the location and time you are meeting a prospective buyer or seller, always take a family member or friend to observe and witness the transaction.
- Be aware that some criminals use financial or personal information such as credit cards or driver’s license information to engage in identity theft and other financial crimes.
- Be careful when sharing personal information. Never list your home address, phone number or anything else that could be used to identify you.
- If a dispute arises when buying or selling goods or services, remember to exercise your right to terminate the transaction.
- If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
- Conduct research on both the product you are buying and the person you’re dealing with.
- Be wary of people who solicit your business without your permission.
- Don’t allow the other party to change the location once you arrive.
Get articles like this in your inbox weekly. Subscribe to City News
- Cooking for the holidays? Defend your drains
- A new way to pay for meter parking in Fort Worth's West Seventh district
- Donated land to be incorporated into existing park
- Sales tax collections up 3.4 percent in September
- TCC ridership on Trinity Metro is on the rise
- More News »
Trinity Metro Board of Directors Meeting: 3:30 p.m. Nov. 19, 2018; Intermodal Transportation Center, Second Floor, Community Room, 1001 Jones Street.
View the agenda »
FW Sports Authority Inc. Board Meeting: 2 p.m. Nov. 20, 2018; Fort Worth Convention Center, Executive Board Room, 1201 Housont Street.
View the agenda »
Canceled Fort Worth Local Development Corporation: 2 p.m. Nov. 20, 2018; City Council Conference Room 290, Second Floor, City Hall, 200 Texas Street.
Canceled Central City Local Government Corporation: 2 p.m. Nov. 20, 2018; City Council Conference Room 290, Second Floor, City Hall, 200 Texas Street.
Canceled AllianceAirport Authority: 2 p.m. Nov. 20, 2018; City Council Conference Room 290, Second Floor, City Hall, 200 Texas Street.
Canceled Lone Star Local Government Corporation: 2 p.m. Nov. 20, 2018; City Council Conference Room 290, Second Floor, City Hall, 200 Texas Street.
Canceled City Council Work Session: 3 p.m. Nov. 20, 2018; City Council Conference Room 290, Second Floor, City Hall, 200 Texas Street.
Canceled City Council Meeting: 7 p.m. Nov. 20, 2018; Council Chambers, Second Floor, City Hall, 200 Texas Street.
Thanksgiving Dinner at Hillside: 7 p.m. Nov. 20, 2018; Hillside Community Center, 1201 E. Maddox Ave.
Senior Thanksgiving Dinner at Como: 11:30 a.m. Nov. 21, 2018; Como Community Center, 4900 Horne St.
Thanksgiving Dinner at Como: 6:30 p.m. Nov. 21, 2018; Como Community Center, 4900 Horne St.