With winter weather forecast, residents and businesses should take steps to keep water pipes from freezing and possibly bursting. These tips can help:
- Make sure all outside pipes are insulated.
- Check to see that pipes in unheated parts of your home or business (including crawl and attic spaces, under cabinets) are insulated.
- Make sure outside faucet washers are secure.
- Keep the lid on the meter box to better insulate it from freezing.
- Turn off or unplug your irrigation system during the winter to prevent ice on sidewalks or streets. Drain the lines to prevent them from freezing and bursting. Use a licensed irrigator if you cannot do this yourself.
- Commercial buildings with fire sprinklers should leave the heat on overnight and on weekends when subfreezing temperatures are forecast.
- For residences, make sure everyone in the household knows where the main water shut-off valve is in case a pipe breaks and it is necessary to turn the water off in a hurry. Check this valve now to make sure it is working.
- If you must leave your house vacant for a long period, turn off your water supply at the gate valve on the resident’s side of the meter box and have a plumber do the necessary work to prepare pipes to prevent damage.
- During prolonged freezes, you may want to open all cabinet doors that contain water pipes to allow heat to enter. Relocate any toxic materials so children and pets cannot get to them if cabinet doors are left open.
- Keep extra water drawn up during freezing weather in case a main break or frozen pipe cuts off your water supply.
If you have no water and think it may be because of a frozen pipe, it is safest to call a plumber to handle the problem. The pipe may be cracked and will burst when thawed. Using an electrical appliance to heat the pipe could cause the pipe to burst, creating the risk of electrocution.
If you suspect a water main is broken, report the location immediately by calling 817-392-4477 so it can be repaired as soon as possible. Signs of a broken water main are water running down the street and buckled pavement. Don’t assume your neighbor called and do not use email or social media to report main breaks. These are not constantly monitored, and this could cause a delayed response.
Get articles like this in your inbox weekly. Subscribe to City News
- Cooking for the holidays? Defend your drains
- A new way to pay for meter parking in Fort Worth's West Seventh district
- Donated land to be incorporated into existing park
- Sales tax collections up 3.4 percent in September
- TCC ridership on Trinity Metro is on the rise
- More News »
Responsible Pet Ownership Class (Spanish): 9 a.m. Nov. 17, 2018; Chuck Silcox Animal Care & Adoption Center, 4900 Martin St.
Trinity Metro Board of Directors Meeting: 3:30 p.m. Nov. 19, 2018; Intermodal Transportation Center, Second Floor, Community Room, 1001 Jones Street.
View the agenda »
FW Sports Authority Inc. Board Meeting: 2 p.m. Nov. 20, 2018; Fort Worth Convention Center, Executive Board Room, 1201 Housont Street.
View the agenda »
Canceled Fort Worth Local Development Corporation: 2 p.m. Nov. 20, 2018; City Council Conference Room 290, Second Floor, City Hall, 200 Texas Street.
Canceled Central City Local Government Corporation: 2 p.m. Nov. 20, 2018; City Council Conference Room 290, Second Floor, City Hall, 200 Texas Street.
Canceled AllianceAirport Authority: 2 p.m. Nov. 20, 2018; City Council Conference Room 290, Second Floor, City Hall, 200 Texas Street.
Canceled Lone Star Local Government Corporation: 2 p.m. Nov. 20, 2018; City Council Conference Room 290, Second Floor, City Hall, 200 Texas Street.
Canceled City Council Work Session: 3 p.m. Nov. 20, 2018; City Council Conference Room 290, Second Floor, City Hall, 200 Texas Street.
Canceled City Council Meeting: 7 p.m. Nov. 20, 2018; Council Chambers, Second Floor, City Hall, 200 Texas Street.
Thanksgiving Dinner at Hillside: 7 p.m. Nov. 20, 2018; Hillside Community Center, 1201 E. Maddox Ave.
Senior Thanksgiving Dinner at Como: 11:30 a.m. Nov. 21, 2018; Como Community Center, 4900 Horne St.
Thanksgiving Dinner at Como: 6:30 p.m. Nov. 21, 2018; Como Community Center, 4900 Horne St.