Northside Area Neighborhood Improvement Project
The Northside Area has been selected as the third Neighborhood Improvement Program target area. As part of this program, funds set aside by City Council will be used to improve neighborhood vitality and give residents paths to self-sufficiency. The $3.052 million funding comes from a half-cent allocation of the municipal property tax rate to provide capital projects, improve public safety and attract private investment in underserved neighborhoods.
Why was the Northside Area selected?
The city’s investment in the Northside Area is aimed at helping neighbors clean-up their neighborhood, make streets safer and improve their quality of life. These criteria led to the Northside’s selection:
- A convergence of multiple negative neighborhood indicators, including significant blight, inadequate public infrastructure, persistent public safety issues and low educational attainment.
- Underserved community with a high concentration of low- and moderate-income residents.
- Opportunity to leverage other economic and social investments.
Resources that can be leveraged in this partnership include:
- $5.4 million in 2018 Capital Improvement Program and Community Development Block Grant funds for extensive renovations at Northside Community Center.
- Potential expansion of HUD’s EnVision Center concept to the Northside Community Center. Planned infrastructure improvements are 2014 Bond Program projects for street repairs, sidewalks, curbs and gutters.
- The Fort Worth Finance Corp. is funding the construction of five single-family homes.
A Special Message from District 2 City Councilmember Carlos Flores
WORKSHOP: Parks & Community Services-Forestry: 6:30 p.m. April 4, 2019; Northside Community Center, 1100 NW 18 St.
WORKSHOP: Disaster Preparedness & Fire Safety 101: 6:30 p.m. April 11, 2019; Northside Community Center, 1100 NW 18th St.
Egg Hunt Eggstravaganza at Northside Community Center: 2:30 p.m. April 20, 2019; Northside Community Center, 1100 NW 18th St.
Northside Area Community Meeting: 6:30 p.m. April 22, 2019; Northside Community Center, 1100 NW 18th St.