City Manager's Review Committee on the Library and Parks & Community Services Departments
Posted: June 21, 2011
Last Update: March 11, 2013
The City Manager’s Advisory Committee on the Library and Parks & Community Services Departments was formed in early 2011 to find ways of improving the efficiency and delivery of Parks and Library services in light of ongoing budget constraints.
- Ramon Guajardo, Chairman
- Linda Christie – Park Board/Tarrant Regional Water District
- Walter Dansby – Fort Worth Independent School District
- Carlos Flores – Neighborhood Representative
- Dr. Joy Gates Black – Tarrant County College
- Jennifer Harnish – Neighborhood Representative
- Jim Doherty – Parks and Community Services Board Chair
- Marty Leonard – Nature Center
- Adelaide Leavens – Streams and Valleys
- Elaine Petrus – Neighborhood Representative
- Erma Bonner Platte – Neighborhood Representative
- Ann Rice – United Way
- Brenda Sanders-Wise – Neighborhood Representative
- Jane Summerford – Past Library Board Chair
- Libby Willis – League of Neighborhoods
- Adam Wright – North Texas Library Partners.
The committee issued its final recommendations the Fort Worth City Council in June 2011. Recommendations included:
- Consider risks and benefits of shifting management of the Botanic Garden, Nature Center & Refuge, Log Cabin Village and the Cowboy Santas program from the City to their respective non-profit support groups.
- Update (Jan. 8, 2013): Informal Reports were presented to City Council for the Log Cabin Village and the Fort Worth Nature Center and Refuge regarding their respective management on January 8, 2013. A Management and Operational Review of the Log Cabin Village was presented to the Parks and Community Services Department Advisory Board on Nov. 16, 2011, and the Parks Board voted on December 14, 2011 that the Log Cabin Village should remain under City of Fort Worth management. The Management and Operational Review for the Fort Worth Nature Center and Refuge was presented to the Parks and Community Services Department Advisory Board on Aug. 22, 2012, and on Sept. 26, 2012, the Parks Board approved a motion that the Nature Center remain under management of the City of Fort Worth.
- Assess the 2008 Aquatics Master Plan to determine the feasibility and applicability of the proposed facilities and establish recommendations to amend the plan.
- Update (Feb. 23, 2012): Council will consider an update to the Aquatics Master Plan at 10 a.m. March 20 at City Hall, 1000 Throckmorton St. View the staff recommendation, presented to the Park Board Jan. 25.
- Update (March 1, 2012): March 3 public meeting about Forest Park Pool postponed to allow a donor to conduct an engineering assessment of the site.
- Cross-promote programs and create joint strategy for children/teen programming.
- Explore joint-use facilities in the future.
- Create a strategic mission and plan for delivery of services and continued study of costs compared to programs in other cities.
- Update the pro forma on the golf system and clearly establish objectives on the financial structure of the system for sustainability.
- Update (March 7, 2012): Council will vote April 3 on a resolution to repurpose Z Boaz Golf Course. Keep Library and Parks & Community Services departments as separately managed entities.
To see the full list of recommendations, download the final report.
- Log Cabin Village closing for maintenance
- Get your kicks this fall with Fort Worth’s youth soccer programs
- After School Programs kick off registration before classes begin
- TripAdvisor recognizes Nature Center for customer service excellence
Labor Day Luncheon at Eugene McCray Community Center: 10 a.m. Sept. 4, 2019; Eugene Mccray Community Center, 4932 Wilbarger.
Sidewalk Sale at Victory Forest Community Center: 8 a.m. Sept. 7, 2019; Victory Forest Community Center, 3427 Hemphill.
Grandparents Brunch at Fire Station Community Center: 10 a.m. Sept. 7, 2019; Fire Station Community Center, 1601 Lipscomb.
Cherokee Basket Weaving: 1 p.m. Sept. 7, 2019; Log Cabin Village, 2100 Log Cabin Village Ln.
Register for this event »
Night Under the Stars at Andrew Doc Session Community Center: 7 p.m. Sept. 7, 2019; Andrew Doc Session Community Center, 201 S. Sylvania Ave.
Grandparents Brunch at Hillside Community Center: 10 a.m. Sept. 10, 2019; Hillside Community Center, 1201 East Maddox Ave.
Movie Night at Highland Hills Community Center: 6 p.m. Sept. 13, 2019; Highland Hills Community Center, 1600 Glasgow Rd..
Canceled Health Fair at Southside Community Center: 9 a.m. Sept. 18, 2019; Southside Community Center, 959 E. Rosedale.
Mental Health Awareness Fair at Como Community Center: 10 a.m. Sept. 21, 2019; Como Community Center, 4900 Horne St.
Buttermilk Junction Old Time String Band: 1 p.m. Sept. 21, 2019; Log Cabin Village, 2100 Log Cabin Village Lane.
Field Trip to the Star in Frisco - Worth Heights Community Center: 2 p.m. Sept. 21, 2019; Worth Heights Community Center, 3551 New York Ave.
Fall Hats for Seniors at Como Community Center: 10 a.m. Sept. 23, 2019; Como Community Center, 4900 Horne St.
Movie in the Park at Hillside Community Center: 6 p.m. Sept. 26, 2019; Hillside Community Center, 1201 E. Maddox Ave.
Glow Party at Como Community Center: 5:30 p.m. Sept. 27, 2019; Como Community Center, 4900 Horne.
National Night Out at Hillside Community Center: 5 p.m. Oct. 1, 2019; Hillside Community Center, 1201 E. Maddox.
National Night Out at MLK Community Center: 6 p.m. Oct. 1, 2019; Mlk Jr. Community Center, 5565 Truman Drive.
Canceled Parking Lot Sale at Southside Community: 7 a.m. Oct. 5, 2019; Southside Community Center, 959 E. Rosedale.
Fall Festival at Andrew Doc Session Community Center: 10 a.m. Oct. 5, 2019; Andrew Doc Session Community Center, 201 S. Sylvania Ave.
4200 S. Freeway, Suite 2200
Fort Worth, TX 76115
View on a map »