Grading Permit Process
A Grading Permit is required for land disturbing activity impacting one (1.0) acre or more, or land disturbing activity less than one (1.0) acre that is part of a Common Plan of Development that equals one (1.0) acre or more. Land disturbance is defined in the Grading Ordinance as
Any construction or other activity caused by a person, which disturbs the surface of the land, including, but not limited to, clearing, grubbing, grading, excavations, embankments, development and/or the moving, depositing, stockpiling or storing of soil, rock or earth materials.
Land Disturbance of Less Than One Acre
- A Urban Forestry Permit is required unless exempt under Ordinance #18615-05-2009, Section 6.302.C.
- Construction of detached single-family or duplex homes will require submittal of Residential Lot Grading Pattern of the land to be disturbed at the time of application for building permits.
Grading Permit Types
- Early Grading Permit (optional)
- Allows clearing, grubbing and grading only – no infrastructure or building construction allowed.
- Final grading permit will be required prior to infrastructure or building construction.
- Final Grading Permit
- Allows installation of infrastructure and, with approved building permits, construction of buildings.
- A final grading permit may be applied for and issued even if an early grading permit has not been issued.
How to Apply
- Submit Stormwater Management Plan (SWMP) directly to Stormwater Development Services (firstname.lastname@example.org) prior to or concurrent with grading permit application. Prior submittal is recommended due to length of time required for review.
- Complete the Grading Permit Application and Checklist.
- Submit application, completed checklist, required plans/documentation and the $50 application fee electronically through Accela Citizen’s Access (ACA) or submit hard copies to the address below. Please note that hardcopy applications must include a CD or flash drive containing PDF versions of application documents.
Lower Level, City Hall
200 Texas Street
Fort Worth, TX 76102
Requirements for Grading Permit Issuance
- Accepted Preliminary SWMP plan (EARLY grading permit only)
- Accepted Preliminary and Final SWMP plan (FINAL grading permit)
- Approved Part One Urban Forestry Permit, including inspection of tree protection, if applicable
- Approved Floodplain Development Permit (if applicable)
- Review and acceptance of civil plans by Stormwater Development Services, Urban Forestry and Water Department
- Review and acceptance of SWPPP by Environmental Quality
Final Grading Certificate
Final Grading Certificate must be completed, signed, sealed and submitted upon completion of grading activities. Receipt of Final Grading Certificate will serve as a notification for scheduling of applicable post-grading inspections.
Notice of Termination (NOT) of TPDES Permit
A copy of the executed Notice of Termination (NOT) must be submitted once final stabilization has been achieved and all controls removed.
- Application fee: $50
- Urban Forestry inspection fees (assessed on sites with preserved trees): $50 per inspection, invoiced under urban forestry permit.
- An approved Fill Permit is required prior to placement of fill material in accordance with Ordinance 15789.
- An Urban Forestry Permit is required prior to land clearing activities or removal of any trees 6” or larger in diameter in accordance with Ordinance No. 18615-05-2009.
- A Parkway Permit is required for private improvements in the right-of-way.
Department Contact Information:
908 Monroe St,
7th Floor, Fort Worth, Texas 76102
Stormwater Development Services
200 Texas St,
2nd Floor City Hall, Fort Worth, Texas 76102
- New commercial building permit submissions will only be accepted online beginning Jan. 1
- City staff to continue studying how to regulate short-term rentals
- New X-Team to provide faster plan review service
- Permits no longer required for garage sales
Current Wait Times
|Wait times currently unavailable|
Monday-Friday: 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Email Customer Service
City Hall, Lower Level
200 Texas St.
Fort Worth, TX 76102