Criteria for Historic Designation
The following criteria, as well as the criteria applied to evaluate districts for inclusion in the National Register of Historic Places, must be used to establish the significance and integrity of property or neighborhoods and their features, and to evaluate the eligibility of a property as a historic property or HC District:
- Is distinctive in character, interest or value, and exemplifies the cultural, economic, social, ethnic or historical heritage of the City of Fort Worth, State of Texas or the United States.
- Is an important example of a particular architectural type or specimen or embodies elements of architectural design, detail, material or craftsmanship that represent a significant architectural innovation in Fort Worth.
- Has been identified as the work of an important architect or master builder whose individual work has contributed to the development of Fort Worth.
- Has been identified with a person or persons who significantly contributed to the culture and development of the City of Fort Worth, State of Texas or the United States.
- Bears a significant relationship to other distinctive buildings, structures, sites, objects or areas, either as an important collection of properties of architectural style, or craftsmanship with few intrusions, or by contributing to the overall character of the area according to a plan based on architectural, historic or cultural motif.
- Possesses significant archeological value, which has produced or is likely to produce data affecting theories of historic or prehistoric interest.
- Is the site of a significant historic event.
- Is designated as a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, State Antiquities Landmark or an American Civil Engineering Landmark, or is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- A property’s ability to convey its significance, taking into consideration the following seven factors: location, design, setting, material, workmanship, feeling and association, as set forth in National Register of Historic Places’ Seven Aspects of Integrity.
- Certificate of Appropriateness
- Historic Site Tax Exemption Application
- Historic Designation Application, for individual sites
- Historic District Designation Application
- Murray G. Miller, historic preservation officer, 817-392-8574
- Justin Newhart, senior planner, 817-392-8037