Home > Departments > Planning & Development > Permits

Residential Energy Code Documents

In June 2001, the State of Texas adopted the first statewide energy conservation code with the intent of regulating the design and construction of buildings for the effective use of energy.

Since that time there have been several updates with the current standard being the 2015 International Energy Conservation Code (IECC). To make documenting energy code compliance easier, computer programs have been developed to provide a comprehensive report for the energy performance for the whole house.

The City of Fort Worth approved residential reporting programs are IC3 available for free from Texas Energy System Laboratory, REM/rate available from registered HERS raters, ResCheck, and Energy Gauge. For approval of an alternate method or program, contact the City of Fort Worth Building Code Administrator.

Complete Energy Code Document Submittal

If the project currently is, or will be heated or air conditioned, compliance with the residential energy code is required and applicants must submit a report from one of the recognized providers:

  • IC3 Report
  • REM/rate Report
  • Energy Gauge/Energy Star report
  • ResCheck

Helpful Information The Energy Systems Laboratory can provide information about Energy Code Compliance in Texas. The IC3 program is also available from their website.

RESNET — Residential Energy Services Network can provide a list of qualified HERS raters in the area.

The rules for engaging a registered engineer are defined by The Texas Board of Professional Engineers.

The State of Texas Energy Conservation Office has links to additional energy information.

Documents that are not required to be prepared by licensed or certified professionals may be prepared by the applicant, a designer, draftsman, or by a consultant.

Online Permitting


What permits can I apply for online?

Download a guide to submitting documents for electronic review.

New users: Register for an account.

Watch the online training video to learn more.

Permit Fee Schedules


Accommodations & Accessibility

Accommodations are available for residents who have accessibility requirements. To learn more about accessibility accommodations available from the City of Fort Worth, visit the Accessibility page or request an accommodation due to disability.