Residential Building Permit
Residential building permits are for one or two family detached homes on individually platted lots.
Permits are required for new construction, as well as work that changes, moves or repairs walls, floors, ceilings, windows, doors, electrical, mechanical or plumbing.
Permits are not required for “cosmetic” remodels (floor or wall covering, cabinets, counter tops, shelving, etc.) or plumbing fixture replacement.
What is needed
- Completed Building Permit Application
- Completed Residential New Construction Checklist
- Complete set of plans including site plan in PDF format with a file size no larger than 512 MB.
- Scanned copy of the property’s certified plat in PDF Format
- Energy Code Compliance documents in PDF format.
If using paper review of documents instead of electronic review, bring a completed building permit application (English or Spanish, two copies of complete plans (including site plans), an 11-by-17-inch copy of the floor plan, three full-size site plans, three full-size site plans, one 11-by-17 inch version of the site plan, two full-sized certified copies of the property’s legally recorded plat, and two copies of the energy compliance documents.
Other residential permits
Download a guide to submitting documents for electronic review.
New users: Register for an account.
Watch the online training video to learn more.