Conserve this Holiday Season
The holiday season is a time of celebrating and gathering with friends and family over food. It is also a time to remain conscientious of water use. Following are a few tips to make your time enjoyable and use only the water you need.
- Add a little extra flavor by substituting chicken or vegetable broth for water in your holiday recipes.
- Wash vegetables and fruits in a container or filled sink, rather than under running water.
- Defrost frozen foods in the refrigerator.
- Be sure to drain grease in an enclosed container rather than pour it down the drain or using the garbage disposal.
- Use your dishwasher only for full loads. If washing by hand, fill the sink to rinse rather than running water continuously.
- Soak your pots and pans and enjoy your guests. It’ll make clean-up a breeze later.
As the cold temperatures drop, make sure you take steps to avoid frozen pipes at your home. Just a few simple steps of prevention can save tons in repair expenses.
- Insulate outside pipes or faucets.
- Disconnect and drain outdoor hoses.
- Seal off access doors, air vents and cracks to protect exposed water pipes.
- Know where to shut off your water. This can quickly help minimize damage should a break happen.
News to Know
- Water Home Page
- Classes & Events
- Stage 1 Restrictions in Effect
- Report Water Waste
- Variance Form/Checklist
- SmartFlush (Toilets)
- Smart Irrigation Audits
- SmartWater Audits (Commercial)
- Business Smart (Commercial)
Report Water Waste
Fort Worth has year-round watering restrictions which include a no more than twice a week irrigation schedule. Please report water waste online or use the MyFtWorth app for smartphones. Questions? See Frequently Asked Questions.
Check out this e-magazine for a glimpse of varied plants suited for Texas summers and frigid winters. Cozy up and learn their stories, click to view>>