Irrigation System Requirements
A permit is required for the installation of irrigation systems, which must comply with the requirements of the International Plumbing Code. Additionally, a backflow prevention device is required at the connection to the water supply, and must be independently tested by a licensed backflow tester.
State law allows a homeowner to perform this work at their homestead. However, any other work must be permitted by a licensed irrigator or Master plumber that is registered with the city of Fort Worth.
Fees and Applications
A permit fee is required if the irrigation is directly connected to the water supply, and an application must be completed and submitted to the Planning & Development Department at 200 Texas St., Fort Worth, Lower Level. The permit is applicable to contractors and homeowners.
For a list of licensed contractors, please contact the Development Services Department at 817-392-2222. To view a listing of registered backflow testers, click here.
- All licensed irrigators must display their state issued license number on their work vehicle.
- The state license number must also be reflected on any printed promotional materials including business cards, flyers, etc.
- All contracts and or work service orders must have the irrigators name, address, license number and telephone number.
- All written contracts and work service orders must include: “Irrigation in Texas is regulated by the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality, P. O. Box 13087, Austin, Texas 78711-3087”.
- Irrigators or Master Plumbers should supply customers with a written statement of guarantee covering all materials and labor for the system installation.