Winterize Your Irrigation System
Following are a few tips to protect your irrigation system during the winter months.
- Turn “off” the timer - To prevent water waste, simple turn off your system this winter. Turning it off will retain the settings, until it is turned on again in the spring.
- Turn “off” the backflow device - Turning off the backflow device preventso water flow to the irrigation system, which can potentially freeze during the winter. The backflow device is often located outside near the meter box or in the flowerbed. If your system doesn’t have a backflow device or you cannot locate the device, you may consider calling a licensed irrigator or plumber to help.
- Drain the Main line - After you turn off the backflow device, manually turn on the controller to release any pressure in the main line. If any water comes on, the backflow device is not shut off completely. Please correct this to prevent stress on your pipes or glue joints, and/or subsequent leaks when the system is turned on again in the spring.
- Insulate any pipes, valves and backflow preventers that are above ground. Wrap valves with foam insulation tape and a plastic bag. Most home supply stores sell self-sticking, foam-insulating tape and foam insulating tubes for this task.
- Install a Rain/Freeze Sensor - These sensors prevent the irrigation system from running when raining or when temperatures drop below freezing. This can be valuable in preventing water waste or creating a hazard during inclimate weather.
- Scale it Back - Please water only when needed. Most plants and grasses adapt to cooler temperatures and shorter days by curtailing growth, or going dormant during the winter. Scaling back watering will result in happier, healthier plants when spring arrives.
For more information or to request a free irrigation water assessment, call 817-392-8740 or use the online form.
Report Water Waste
Fort Worth has year-round watering restrictions which include a no more than twice a week irrigation schedule. Please report water waste online or use the MyFtWorth app for smartphones. Questions? See Frequently Asked Questions.