Leaks are responsible for about 14 percent of wasted water. If you experience an unusually high water bill, you may have a leak.
The Fort Worth Water Department is responsible for maintaining the service line leading to your home or business’s meter and the meter itself. The property owner is responsible for the service line behind the meter and the rest of the property’s plumbing.
Leaks in home plumbing
If you discovered and repaired a leak, contact Customer Service (817-392-4477) with proof of repair. Your account will be adjusted based on 50 percent of the water loss above your average monthly usage. The adjustment covers a one- or two-month period, depending on the type of leak repaired.
To submit proof of repair
- Fax the receipt to 817-392-8238
- Call 817-392-4477 to verify the information was received.
Tips on How to Check for Leaks
Studies show that leaking faucets and toilets account for as much as 14 percent of indoor water use, wasting up to 170 gallons of water each day. Follow these simple steps to make sure leaks are not wasting your valuable water.
- Check all water connections for leaks. To check for toilet leaks, put a few drops of dye in the tank, and wait about 15 minutes without flushing. If the dye shows up in the bowl, your fixture needs adjustment or repair. Leaky toilets can usually be repaired inexpensively by replacing the flapper.
- Check for leaks in the underground pipe by turning off all faucets. Then look at your water meter. If it’s running, you probably have a leak.
- Does your sink, bathtub or kitchen faucet have a slow drip? These can usually be repaired by replacing the washer inside, the valve or rubber O-ring.
- Hot Water Heater Information
- Fort Worth notifying some water customers of data security incident
- New water mains construction scheduled for Southgate Marketplace
- Cooking for the holidays? Defend your drains
- Currency plant honored for environmental advances
- Protect your pipes against freezing temperatures
Report Emergencies (24-hours)
(water main breaks, sewer backups)
817-392-4477 Select Option 1
Call Center - Non-emergency
7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Monday through Friday
(Closed City Holidays) 817-392-4477
P. O. Box 870
Fort Worth, TX 76102
- Report Illegal Connections
- Report Other Water Related Issues
- Report Water Waste
- Request a Speaker
- Report a problem with the H2Online Water payment website
Chris Harder, P.E.