For the next year, Fort Worth residents will no longer be required to obtain a permit before hosting a garage sale.
The one-year trial was authorized by the City Council. At the end of the trial period, city staff will evaluate the impact, if any, on compliance complaints. If there is no impact, an ordinance amendment will be brought forward.
The city processes more than 16,000 garage sale permits per year. The change will allow staff to spend more time processing building permits and other high-priority work. The volume of building permits has increased 34 percent to over 13,000 annually since 2012.
Residents must still follow city regulations, which have been in place since 1977:
- Garage sales are allowed only in residential districts.
- Each household may hold no more than two sales in a calendar year.
- New merchandise obtained for the purpose of resale is not permitted.
- A sale cannot last more than three consecutive days.
- Only one sign, measuring no more than 2 square feet, is permitted and must be located on the sale property.
Code Compliance already enforces the regulations whether a resident has a permit or not.
To report a garage sale violation, call 817-392-1234.
Get articles like this in your inbox. Subscribe to City News.
- Give input on plans for Wesleyan Hills Park
- Water and sewer mains in Wedgwood area to be upgraded
- Community talk to discuss e-cigarettes, vaping
- Rockwood Golf Course construction begins this week
- AllianceTexas generates $7 billion in 2019
- More News »
Aviation Advisory Board Meeting: 1 p.m. Jan. 30, 2020; Fort Worth Meacham International Airport, Conference Room 306, 201 American Concourse.
View the agenda »
Aviation Advisory Board Workshop: 1:30 p.m. Jan. 30, 2020; Fort Worth Meacham International Airport, Conference Room 306, 201 American Concourse.
View the agenda »
Sycamore Creek Wastewater Improvements Project Meeting: 6 p.m. Jan. 30, 2020; Sycamore Community Center, 2525 E. Rosedale St.
Ramey Avenue Street Maintenance Project Meeting: 10 a.m. Feb. 1, 2020; Sweet Home Baptist Church, 5225 Ramey Ave.
Near Southside Infrastructure Improvements Project Meeting: 6 p.m. Feb. 3, 2020; Broadway Baptist Church, Room 302, 305 W. Broadway Ave.