To avoid household and environmental damage as well as a costly plumbing bill, never put fats, oils and grease down the drain.
Fats, oils and grease come from meats, butters and margarine, lard, food scraps, sauces, salad dressings, dairy products and cooking oil. When these items go down the drain, it hardens and causes sewer pipes to clog. This can lead to a sanitary sewer overflow where raw sewage backs up into your home, lawn, neighborhood and streets.
Not only does this nasty mess cause health issues, it also can run into a nearby stream or river, which affects drinking water. If pipes become clogged from putting fats, oils and grease down the drain, it can be a very expensive problem to fix.
The North Central Texas Council of Governments provided tips for handling fats, oils and grease during the busy holiday cooking time:
- Reuse fry oil by filtering and freezing it after it has cooled.
- Small amounts of grease, such as meat drippings, can be soaked up with a paper towel and thrown into the trash. If you have a larger amount of grease, let it cool, then pour or scrape the solidifying grease into a sturdy closed-lid container, like a coffee can, and dispose of it in the trash.
- Put oil and grease in covered collection containers.
- Scrape food scraps from dishes into trash cans and garbage bags and dispose of the properly. Avoid using the garbage disposal.
- Remove oil and grease from dishes, pans, fryers and griddles. Cool first before you skim, scrape or wipe off excess grease.
- Don’t pour oil and grease down the drain. Don’t put food scraps down the drain.
- Don’t rinse off oil and grease with hot water.
If you experience a sewer backup in your home, call the Fort Worth Water Department at 817-392-4477 before calling a plumber.
Get articles like this in your inbox. Subscribe to City News.
- Give input on plans for Wesleyan Hills Park
- Water and sewer mains in Wedgwood area to be upgraded
- Community talk to discuss e-cigarettes, vaping
- Rockwood Golf Course construction begins this week
- AllianceTexas generates $7 billion in 2019
- More News »
Aviation Advisory Board Meeting: 1 p.m. Jan. 30, 2020; Fort Worth Meacham International Airport, Conference Room 306, 201 American Concourse.
View the agenda »
Aviation Advisory Board Workshop: 1:30 p.m. Jan. 30, 2020; Fort Worth Meacham International Airport, Conference Room 306, 201 American Concourse.
View the agenda »
Sycamore Creek Wastewater Improvements Project Meeting: 6 p.m. Jan. 30, 2020; Sycamore Community Center, 2525 E. Rosedale St.
Ramey Avenue Street Maintenance Project Meeting: 10 a.m. Feb. 1, 2020; Sweet Home Baptist Church, 5225 Ramey Ave.
Near Southside Infrastructure Improvements Project Meeting: 6 p.m. Feb. 3, 2020; Broadway Baptist Church, Room 302, 305 W. Broadway Ave.