Fort Worth scored a perfect 100 on the Human Rights Campaign’s Municipal Equality Index, which measures cities’ inclusion of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender residents.
The 2019 Municipal Equality Index is a rating system of LGBTQ inclusion in municipal law. To earn perfect scores, cities must embrace inclusive laws and policies that often go beyond explicit protections offered by their state or the federal government, the report stated.
This is the fourth consecutive year Fort Worth has scored 100. Fort Worth scored 99 points in 2015, 83 points in 2014, 91 points in 2013 and 89 points in 2012.
Fort Worth’s 2019 scores, based on five broad categories:
- Non-discrimination laws, 30 out of 30 points.
- The municipality’s employment practices, 20 out of 28 points.
- Municipal services, 12 out of 12 plus six bonus points.
- Law enforcement, 22 out of 22 points.
- Leadership on LGBTQ equality, seven out of eight points plus three bonus points.
Here’s how other Texas cities stacked up on the scorecard:
- Austin, 100 points.
- Dallas, 100 points.
- San Antonio, 100 points.
- Houston, 70 points.
- El Paso, 53 points.
- Arlington, 58 points.
The full report, including scorecards for every city and a searchable database, is available on the Human Rights Campaign website.
Get articles like this in your inbox. Subscribe to City News.
- Give input on plans for Wesleyan Hills Park
- Water and sewer mains in Wedgwood area to be upgraded
- Community talk to discuss e-cigarettes, vaping
- Rockwood Golf Course construction begins this week
- AllianceTexas generates $7 billion in 2019
- More News »
Aviation Advisory Board Meeting: 1 p.m. Jan. 30, 2020; Fort Worth Meacham International Airport, Conference Room 306, 201 American Concourse.
View the agenda »
Aviation Advisory Board Workshop: 1:30 p.m. Jan. 30, 2020; Fort Worth Meacham International Airport, Conference Room 306, 201 American Concourse.
View the agenda »
Sycamore Creek Wastewater Improvements Project Meeting: 6 p.m. Jan. 30, 2020; Sycamore Community Center, 2525 E. Rosedale St.
Ramey Avenue Street Maintenance Project Meeting: 10 a.m. Feb. 1, 2020; Sweet Home Baptist Church, 5225 Ramey Ave.
Near Southside Infrastructure Improvements Project Meeting: 6 p.m. Feb. 3, 2020; Broadway Baptist Church, Room 302, 305 W. Broadway Ave.