Greenbriar Lake offers great fishing year round without leaving the city limits.
Texas Parks & Wildlife stock the lake with channel catfish, bluegill sunfish, green sunfish and largemouth bass — as well as rainbow trout in winter months — to create an urban fishery and family recreational fishing experience.
Children under age 17 can fish for free, but all adults must get a fishing permit with a freshwater stamp to fish in the state of Texas.
Individuals only may catch up to five channel catfish (no minimum length). Visit the Texas Parks & Wildlife website or call 1-800-792-1112 to find out about fishing regulations on other species.
Remember to catch and release
Officials recommend catching and releasing slow-growing largemouth bass and sunfish. For those who want to eat what they catch, remember to take precautions to avoid health risk from contaminants.
Lakes, especially in urban settings, collect pollutants that wash down stream and run off from the surrounding area. Largemouth bass have been tested for contaminates and are considered safe, but simple steps can reduce health risks from pollutants:
- Clean and dress fish as soon as possible
- Fillet and cut away the fat and skin before cooking
- Remove the head and guts
- Cook so that the fat drains away from the fish
- Give input on plans for Wesleyan Hills Park
- Rockwood Golf Course construction begins this week
- Fort Worth Zoo to host sensory-friendly day
- Become a steward of Fort Worth's public trees as a Citizen Forester
- Built for the community, by the community: Como Community Center to celebrate grand opening Feb. 15
- Resolving to get fit in 2020? Check out discounts at community centers
- Butterflies in the Garden returning in 2020
- Worth Heights Community Center to close temporarily
Daddy Daughter Dance at Chisholm Trail Community Center: 6 p.m. Feb. 8, 2020; Chisholm Trail Community Center, 4936 McPherson Blvd.
Sweetheart Social at Hillside Community Center: 10 a.m. Feb. 11, 2020; HIllside Community Center, 1201 E. Maddox Ave.
Valentine's Day Ball: 11 a.m. Feb. 13, 2020; Handley Meadowbrook, 6201 Beaty.
Black History Month Program at Riverside Community Center: 3 p.m. Feb. 19, 2020; Riverside Community Center, 3700 E. Belknap.
Valentine's Day Party at Greenrbriar Community Center: 5 p.m. Feb. 20, 2020; Greenbriar Community Center, 5200 Hemphill.
Black History Program at Hillside Community Center: 6 p.m. Feb. 20, 2020; Hillside Community Center, 1201 E. Maddox Ave.
4200 S. Freeway, Suite 2200
Fort Worth, TX 76115
View on a map »