The Sign Ordinance was enacted to provide uniform standards for the location, spacing, height, lighting and other regulation of signs within the City of Fort Worth. The purpose of this ordinance is to protect the health, safety, welfare, convenience and enjoyment of the general public from injury which may be caused by the unregulated construction of signs.
The Sign Ordinance includes regulations governing all signs in Fort Worth, including political signs, window signs, attached signs, detached signs, unified sign agreements, electronic changeable copy signs, sales office/model home signs, homebuilder directional signs and on premise signs. The sign ordinance prohibits any new off premise sign or billboards.
The Zoning Section implements and enforces the sign ordinance and in the following cases, a Sign Permit must be obtained (see ordinance for all requirements).
- Sales Office and Model Home
- Signs not requiring a permit
- Zoning Map to determine Zoning District requirements for signage
- Electronic Changeable Copy may be permitted by special exception of the board of adjustment in commercial, industrial, mixed-use and community facility zoning districts
- Developer and Builder Signs/City Kiosk Program Information Summary
Residential home builders/developers are required to use kiosks for off-premise directional signage. Any interested builder or developer should contact George Faris at Baker Clearview Kiosk Systems, 817-737-4472 or email@example.com.
How to apply for electronic permit
(paper plans not accepted)
Plans may be submitted electronically through the City’s online permitting system.
What is required for Electronic Submittal
- Sign Permit Application
- Sign Submittal Checklist
- Unified Sign Agreement Checklist & Application
- Unified Sign Agreement Process
Contact Chris Valtierra 817-392-7843 for additional information.
|Revisions:||$50.00 per Hour|
|Unified Sign Agreement:||$1,500.00|
|Board of Adjustment:||Non-Residential Variance $750.00*|
|Non-Residential Special Exception $1,000.00*/Electronic Changeable Copy|
If you have additional questions concerning the sign or zoning ordinance, contact the zoning staff at 817-392-8028.
* Additional fees may apply
- Zoning Cases
- Zoning District Summary
- Zoning Ordinance
- Interactive Zoning Map
- Zoning Verification Letter
- Pre-Development Conference
- Urban Forestry
- Review Timeframes
- NASJRB Compatible Uses
Urban Forestry: 817-392-7933
Board of Adjustment: 817-392-8026
200 Texas St.
Lower Level, Northeast Corner
Fort Worth, TX 76102