A historic district in Fort Worth is typically a defined area or neighborhood with a common theme based on architectural style, historical development patterns, cultural identity, or social and economic historical patterns.
The basic idea behind the creation of a historic district is to preserve the character and identity of an area for the future.
Local Historic Districts
Design guidelines are regulations specific to a historic district. They are created and approved by the property owners of the historic district and then adopted by the City Council for use by the Historic & Cultural Landmarks Commission to review applications for a certificate of appropriateness. Once adopted, amendments may be approved only with the majority vote of the historic district and the City Council.
Guidelines typically address new construction and alterations to the materials and design of existing structures. In the absence of approved guidelines for a district, the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties are used.
- Central Handley
- Chase Court
- Elizabeth Boulevard
- Garden of Eden
- Historic Carver Heights
- Kenwood Court
- Linden Avenue
- Mistletoe Heights
- W. A. Powers
- Terrell Heights
- Fort Worth Citywide Preservation Plan, 2003
- Historic Schools Survey, 2003
- Amendments to the Historic Preservation Ordinance, 2007
- Draft Ryan Place Historic District Standards and Guidelines, 2009
- Draft Madeline Place Historic District Standards and Guidelines, 2010
- Stockyards Overlay District
View the district pages to for cases in those areas.
|Filing Deadline (5 p.m.)||Agenda Posted||Hearing Date|
|June 19, 2017||July 5, 2017||July 10, 2017|
|July 17, 2017||Aug. 9, 2017||Aug. 14, 2017|
|Aug. 21, 2017||Sept. 6, 2017||Sept. 11, 2017|
|Sept. 18, 2017||Oct. 4, 2017||Oct. 9, 2017|
|Oct. 16, 2017||Nov. 8, 2017||Nov. 13, 2017|
|Nov. 20, 2017||Dec. 6, 2017||Dec. 11, 2017|
- Certificate of Appropriateness
- Historic Site Tax Exemption Application
- Historic Designation Application, for individual sites
- Historic District Designation Application
- Murray G. Miller, historic preservation officer, 817-392-8574
- Justin Newhart, senior planner, 817-392-8037
- Estella Alvarez, 817-392-5985