Approved May 1, 2012, the City of Fort Worth’s noise ordinance establishes maximum decibel levels for residential, commercial and mixed-use areas, and includes regulations on amplifiers in public rights of way and animal noise.
By the numbers
The following sound-level limits are measured from the property line of the person making the noise complaint.
(7 a.m. to 10 p.m.)
(10 p.m. to 7 a.m.)
|Residential||70 dBA||60 dBA|
|Commercial & Mixed-use||80 dBA||70 dBA|
Exceptions to the restrictions include:
- Building ventilation and property maintenance
- Public and school property
- Government function
- Permitted outdoor events
- Large venue in Trinity Uptown (>1,000 people)
- Airport, railway and vehicular transportation
The ordinance also prohibits animals from creating unprovoked noise for 10 minutes or longer. Noise generated by gas drilling is regulated separately and is not part of this ordinance.
View the ordinance
Download the full ordinance for more information.
- Students experience behind-the-scenes look at city departments
- New X-Team to provide faster plan review service
- Permits no longer required for garage sales
Current Wait Times
|Wait times currently unavailable|
Monday-Friday: 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Email Customer Service
City Hall, Lower Level
200 Texas St.
Fort Worth, TX 76102