Home > Departments > Planning & Development > Zoning
All documents are available in PDF format only.
How to use this Ordinance
IF YOU HAVE PROPERTY AND WANT TO KNOW WHAT RULES APPLY:
STEP 1: Find your zoning district and any overlay districts by looking at the Official Zoning Map.
STEP 2: Go to Chapter 4, District Regulations, for details on minimum lot size, required yards, and other district standards. You may also be referred to Chapter 6, Development Standards, for general parking, landscaping or sign regulations.
STEP 3: Go to Chapter 4, Article 6, Residential District Use Table, or Chapter 4, Article 8, Nonresidential District Use Table, for details on permitted uses. If the use is listed with an asterisk (*), see 5 ‘Supplemental Use Standards’, Supplemental Use Standards.
STEP 4: -Don’t forget the overlay districts that apply to your site (if any). See 4 ‘District Regulations’, District Regulations, for overlay district details.
IF YOU WANT TO BUILD OR ESTABLISH A PARTICULAR USE:
STEP 1: -Go to Appendix C, Use Index. The alphabetical listing of uses will tell you how the use is listed in the use tables.
STEP 2: -Go to Chapter 4, Article 6, Residential District Use Table, or Chapter 4, Article 8, Nonresidential District Use Table; look up your proposed use to see the districts in which it is permitted. If the use is listed with an asterisk (*), see 5 ‘Supplemental Use Standards’, Supplemental Use Standards for that use.
STEP 3: -Look up the appropriate districts in Chapter 4, District Regulations for details on minimum lot size, required yards, and other district standards. You may also be referred to Chapter 6, Development Standards, for general parking, landscaping or sign regulations.
STEP 4: -Don’t forget the overlay districts that apply to your site (if any). Check the Official Zoning Map in the Development Department. If an overlay district applies, see 4 ‘District Regulations’, District Regulations, for overlay district details.
IF YOU WANT TO CHANGE YOUR ZONING DISTRICT:
Only the City Council may rezone property, following public notice and public hearings in front of the Zoning Commission and the City Council itself. See 3 ‘Review Procedures’, Article 5, Text or Map Amendment (Rezoning).
IF YOU WANT TO VARY FROM THE STANDARDS THAT APPLY:
The Board of Adjustment is authorized to grant variances from some of the regulations in this Ordinance in cases of special hardship. See 3 ‘Review Procedures’, Article 4, Variances.
IF YOUR PROPERTY IS LOCATED IN AN HISTORIC/CULTURAL DISTRICT:
You need to follow special procedures found in Chapter 4, Article 5 if your property is located in a preservation overlay district (“HSE”, “HC” or “DD”).
1. General Provisions
2. Review Bodies
- 2.100 Zoning Commission
- 2.101 Board of Adjustment
- 2.102 Urban Design Commission
- 2.103 Historic and Cultural Landmarks Commission
- 2.104 Downtown Design Review Board
3. Review Procedures
- 3.100-3.101 Article 1. General
- 3.200-3.204 Article 2. Ordinance Interpretation
- 3.300-3.305 Article 3. Special Exceptions
- 3.400-3.406 Article 4. Variances
- 3.500-3.506 Article 5. Text or map amendment (Rezoning)
- 3.600 Article 6. Other Review Procedures
4. District Regulations
- 4.100-4.103 General
- 4.200-4.201. Special Purpose Districts
- 4.300-4.306 Planned Development ("PD") District
- 4.400-4.405 Overlay Districts
- 4.500 Reserved
- 4.600-4.602 Residential District Use Table
- 4.700-4.713 Residential Districts
- 4.800-4.805 Non-Residential District Use Table
- 4.900-4.909 Commercial Districts
- 4.1000-4.1004 Industrial Districts
- 4.1100-4.1106 Inactive Districts
- 4.1200-4.1201 Form Base Code District Use Table
- 4.1300-4.1307 Form Based Districts
5. Supplemental Use Standards
- 5.100-5.144 Article 1. Standards For Selected Uses
- 5.200-5.221 Article 2. Sexually Oriented Businesses
- 5.300-5.308 Article 3. Accessory Uses
- 5.400-5.406 Article 4. Temporary Uses
6. Development Standards
- 6.100-6.101 Article 1. General
- 6.200-6.203 Article 2. Off-Street Parking And Loading
- 6.300-6.302 Article 3. Landscaping, Buffers, and Urban Forestry
- 6.400-6.415 Article 4. Signs
- 6.500-6.508 Article 5. Residential Design Standards
- 7.100 Continuation of Nonconforming Use
- 7.101 Additions, Alterations, Extensions, Repairs
- 7.102 Discontinuation of Nonconforming Use
- 7.103 Certificate of Occupancy for Nonconforming Uses
- 7.104 Restoration of Partially Destroyed Building
- 7.105 Subsequent Amendments to Zoning Ordinance
- 7.106 Nonconforming Lot of Record
- 7.107 Specific Nonconforming Uses
- 7.108 Exercise of Eminent Domain
- Zoning Commission
- Zoning District Summary
- Zoning Ordinance
Updated (unofficial) | ALP (official)
- Interactive Zoning Map
- Application & Fees
- Zoning Verification Letter
- Pre-Development Conference
- Urban Forestry
- Review Timeframes
Urban Forestry: 817-392-7933
City Hall 1000 Throckmorton St.
Lower Level, Northeast Corner
Fort Worth, TX 76102